Century of Books

My project to read the top 100 English-language books of the twentieth century.

Name:
Location: San Francisco, United States

I am an Australian writer and blogger living in San Francisco. Visit my professional site at caitlinfitzsimmons.com, or my travel and food blog at Roaming Tales or my personal blog at The Niltiac Files. I am also on Twitter as @niltiac. See the full list of books or visit me on BookCrossing.

01 December 2007

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

This is about the loss of identity and sense of self of the tribal people of what is modern day Nigeria during the colonisation by England in the 19th century.

It is told through the experience of one man and his own loss of identity and sense of self as he grapples with the changing world around him. He was once a proud and strong - and often cruel - leader of men but now everything that was once certain is changing.

It's a slim book; very short and very easy to read. It provides a fascinating insight into the culture of the Nigerian tribes (it reminded me in many ways of the Highland tribes of Papua New Guinea) and it is also a moving emotional journey.

39 down, 61 to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home